Highs and Low(e)s
- I never understood what mattress toppers were for, or why anyone bothered spending good money on them until last Friday when Ben came home with one and put it on the bed. I'm so late to the party here but it is like sleeping on a cloud! And so much warmer?!
- Are you in Auckland? Have you been to Cotto for dinner yet? Or Peach Pit? Both really nail mid-priced dining. Peach Pit I have to give extra thumbs up to, I feel like they're underrated because everyone thinks that place is just a bar, but the food is V GOOD.
- A while ago I put up a link to the Bon Appetit 'It's Alive! with Brad' videos and went on and on about how much I loved them but now I think I've found something I love more, and that is the Bon Appetit 'Gourmet Makes' videos. Basically, Claire, the Pastry Chef at the Bon Appetit Test Kitchen, tries to recreate standard junk foods/candy (think Twinkies, Kit Kats and the like) using non-artificial ingredients. I mean, now that I type that out like that it sounds kind of boring but trust me, it's not! Especially if you like cooking.
- While we're in this youtube hole, if you're into models and the modelling industry (niche, I know, but hey - it's my job), or even if you're not - please tell me you've seen 'The Model Agency' - it's a 7 part doco that came out in 2011, that follows Premier (a top agency in London). I saw it a while ago but recently rewatched it and now I am making sure everyone else sees it because it's just so entertaining. I found it here on youtube broken up into small bits which is kind of annoying but HEY, just watch it ok?
- Rocket Kitchen may be kind of passé in the age of Bluebell's Bakery and The Caker, but try this: go there and get a caramel cupcake to go, take it home and chuck it in the microwave for like, 15 seconds (the icing will melt but it's a small price to pay for one of the greatest joys in life), eat with whipped cream and then die happy.
- The Handmaid's Tale. Equal parts engaging and terrifying.
- It is pretty embarrassing to admit this but for the last year at least, I have been in denial about my clothing size and I have been purchasing things in a size smaller than I should, purely because I can squeeze in, and because of vanity. How fucking stupid is that? I mean, there's nothing worse really than a tight AF swimsuit. I only have myself to blame. But no more! As of like two weeks ago I'm done with the vanity sizing purchases! I'm not done with self-hating but you know, working on it 'n that.
- Why did I even tell anyone the above?
- I have a Les Mills membership that I pay $23.50 a week for, and I just now realised I went into that gym a total of 4 times over the month of May, whilst also spending an additional $185 on other fitness things elsewhere.
- Why am I like this?
- Last month I transported an 8 year old defrosted and rotting placenta from one place to another with NO GLOVES and I mean, this is something one should never really ever have to do.
- Did you know that if you become pregnant past the age of 35, it's referred to as a 'geriatric pregnancy'? Wow. Grim.
- A 15 year old called me a loser like two weeks ago (in a joking, 'okay, loser' kind of way) and I can't stop thinking about it and that's why I'm terrified of teenagers.
- Imagine watching Westworld and actually knowing what's going on.